Discuss everything regarding the new Biafra to come in this section.
#154 by Ihemba
Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:57 am
I was having some fun making possible imagery for a new Biafran government such as logos and the like, and also some nationalistic emblems and other imagery. I'll post them here. I'm interested in using indigenous iconography to inspire how we go about representing ourselves and further with the rejection of European and western imagery and conventions. For example, I'm not a huge fan of the heraldic/achievement coat of arms that is currently being used to represent Biafra, as follows:

I think if we want to move away from the past mistakes of other African nations and stay true to our ideals of reinventing how Africans think and therefore how we're perceived, we need to stay away from mimicking other nations, even rooting out when we do not realise it. I think the current coat of arms is a noble attempt, but a copy of European traditions nonetheless. Example of non European countries that do not use these kinds of European iconography include Japan and it's seal, Korea and Taiwan. With a simplistic, innovative and progressive state of mind, I believe the half sunshine emblem (okara anwu) that's already on the flag is already a very powerful enough symbol that would serve as an equally powerful official emblem/seal for Biafra, the fact that Half of a Yellow Sun has made such an impact and was named such is evidence of that. Just keeping it simple yet different. This would be easily recognisable in any colour and under any context. As follows:

Share On:

#155 by Ihemba
Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:05 am
I made some emblems for possible departments/ministries of a Biafran government. The icons are also simplistic but powerful and uses ideas from traditional society, for instance our people used to handle legal issues under a tree so that was used for the symbol for justice, the symbol of the rotating triangles represent the claws of the leopard and power in the ekpe society that unites Biafrans so it was used for the insignia of the military, the symbol the department of agriculture is a yam mound with a flower with the iconic half sun, and so on. As follows:

#158 by Ihemba
Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:44 am
Stock image, Biafran girl (face paint):

Biafra flag map:

Last edited by Ihemba on Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#160 by Ihemba
Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:29 am
Out of many one, One written in different language including Igbo Ijo Ibibio Ogoni and Mbembe.

Last edited by Ihemba on Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.